Monday, August 13, 2007

Speaking of Missing the Exit

this is a follow up to this Taking the Wrong Exit and then Missed The Exit Again


My daughter Jamie likes to quote Ignorance, one of the characters from Pilgrim's Progress. When we hear or read about shallow thinking, based on feelings and emotions. She will pipe in, "Ignorance says...My heart tells me so! and, I just believe, that’s all! "

The following is an exchange between Chrisitan and Mr. Ignorance....

Christian...Then, directing his speech to Ignorance, he said, Come, how do you do? How stands it between God and your soul now?

Ignor. I hope, well; for I am always full of good motions, that come into my mind to comfort me as I walk.

Chr. What good motions? Pray tell us.

Ignor. Why, I think of God and heaven.

Chr. So do the devils and damned souls.

Ignor. But I think of them and desire them.

Chr. So do many that are never like to come there. The soul of the sluggard desires, and hath nothing.

Ignor. But I think of them, and leave all for them.

Chr. That I doubt; for leaving of all is a hard matter; yea, a harder matter than many are aware of. But why, or by what, art thou persuaded that thou hast left all for God and heaven?

Ignor. My heart tells me so.

Chr. The wise man says, "He that trusts his own heart is a fool."

Ignor. That is spoken of a evil heart; but mine is a good one.

Chr. But how dost thou prove that?

Ignor. It comforts me in hopes of heaven

Chr. That may be through its deceitfulness; for a man’s heart may minister comfort to him in the hopes of that thing for which he has yet no ground to hope.

Ignor. But my heart and life agree together; and therefore my hope is well grounded.

Chr. Who told thee that thy heart and life agree together?

Ignor. My heart tells me so.

Chr. Ask my fellow if I be a thief. Thy heart tells thee so! Except the word of God beareth witness in this matter, other testimony is of no value.

No comments: