Thursday, August 9, 2007

From The Campout: God the Dangerous

Playing catch up. I'm posting about the church campout from a couple of weeks back. I want to be able to link to this post.

The camp out was a hoot. My kids counted only 30 something bug bites on one of my arms. 2 evenings and a full day to toss out and talk about different things from God's Kingdom. The Hudelson family picked out a great spot where we could see the kids play as we continued the Reformation from lawn chairs. The tarantula that showed up in the middle of the evening devotions, in the middle of a group of 23 people, stole the show. Rob's masterful demonstration, nay, his taking dominion of God's "everything that creepeth upon the earth" should’ve been filmed. I have never seen so many skunks in my life. There was much feasting before the Lord.

While there, I had started reading a Credenda Agenda Magazine vol 16,number3 the theme was entitled "God the Dangerous". Douglas Jones wrote the main article, and using scripture painted a picture of God that had me squirming. A God who is a consuming fire, a jealous God, a God who knows what belongs to him (everything, Psm 50:10,11) and will remind us about it if we forget it. He quoted Annie Dillard when she wrote..

"On the whole I do not find the Christians, outside the catacombs, sufficiently sensible of conditions. Does anyone have the foggiest idea what sort of power we so blithely invoke? Or as I suspect does no one believe a word of it? The churches are children playing on the floor with their chemistry sets, mixing up a batch of TNT to kill a Sunday morning. It is madness to wear ladies straw hats and velvet hats to church: we should all be wearing crash helmets. Ushers should issue life preservers and signal flares: they should lash us to the pews. For the sleeping God may awake someday and take offense, or the waking God may draw us out to were we can never return"

I admit that for too long I have worshiped a safe lovey, dovey God. A smaller God that comes from using a "shorter" bible as Rushdoony would say. I had thought that the Christian walk was about God loving us and sending his Son to die for us as opposed to everything and us being made for his own Glory. It’s a matter of focus and it will color everything. I Repent, and move on.

If your curious It is called
"Playing with Knives, God the Dangerous"

No comments: