Friday, July 20, 2007

Praying

something to think about....
From blog and Mablog

Vain Repetitions
Topic: Chrestomathy

"I grew up in evangelical circles and knew the public prayer ropes. I could pray readily in public settings, particularly in church, and did so in accordance with the accepted canons for many years. When I finally began to write my prayers out before the service, I noticed something funny. I had stopped repeating myself. I found myself praying in new territory. In short, the previous situation had allowed me to pray predictable prayers that I had not really thought about. Composing prayers beforehand, sitting down and actually thinking through what I was going to say, brought a whole new world of possibilities in prayer. Too many people, when they pray extemporaneously, pray in the same way they comb their hair. It is a habitual action that requires no thought" (Mother Kirk, p. 147).
Posted by Douglas Wilson - 7/20/2007 11:34:37 AM | Link to this post | Print this post | 0 Responses

http://www.dougwils.com/index.asp?Action=Anchor&CategoryID=1&BlogID=4182

No comments: