Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Taking Every Thought Captive

Only recently have I even started to unwind my faith walk, the Kingdom of God from Americana. More Doug Wilson, I read him daily, no, I don't baptize my babies...

Slightly to the Left of King Arthur
Topic: Americanitas

I have added a new category for the blog because sometime in the near future I intend to work my way through David Gelernter new book, Americanism: The Fourth Great Western Religion...

But his central theological assumptions are extremely troubling, and all the more troubling because the kind of idolatry being advanced here is the kind that many red state Christians could be vulnerable to. If there is anything that conservative American Christians need to learn, it is how to relate to our growing American Empire, an entity which wants (as all empires do) compromised older religions around to help give their civic religion the kind of patina it needs to shine properly on civic holidays...

But I love my country as a son, not as a devotee. The America I love is not an idea, and especially not a religious idea. I am a Christian first. And how to sort all this out -- the right relation between Christian faith and national identity -- is one of the things we really need to work through, and Gelernter's book promises to be just the kind of foil that will enable us to do that thoroughly.

Posted by Douglas Wilson - 7/14/2007 4:19:04 PM

Read the whole thing!
http://www.dougwils.com/Print.asp?Action=Anchor&CategoryID=1&BlogID=4155

No comments: