Thursday, September 13, 2007

Working the Playdough

A question I recieved last January 2007....Someone wanting to make sure I was being guided by God's word...that's a good thing.

" How is it that you know what is good and profitable?.. eventually we must start somewhere with in the scripture. That starting place has a pre-supposition behind. By some means you are deciding what is good and profitable through the scriptures. There is a question that we who study the scriptures for life and godliness, to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, must ask. Are my means of deciding what is good and accurate in line with the scriptures themselves? The point is that God himself is not silent on how we should understand the scriptures."

I would respond such that these are my basic pre-suppositions...

Gen 1:1 ...in the beginning God...(he made it all, it's all his)

Ex 20:2 ...I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Eygpt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me.

Deut 8:3 ...man liveth not by bread alone, but by every word that proceedth out of the mouth of the Lord...

Isaiah 45: ...I, the Lord, speak the truth, I decalre what is right...

John 14:6 ...I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life...

2 Cor 10:5 ...bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience to Christ..

Eph 4:14 ...that we should no longer be children tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men...

Eph 4:17 ... that you should no longer walk as the rest of the gentiles walk in the futility of their mind...

Col 1:16 ...all things were created through him and for him. 17 and he is before all things and in him all things consist.

Co l2:8 ...beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world and not according to Christ.

I would say these are starting to undergird my thinking, my starting points.

As I read or listen to anything, I am trying to look for "what is the standard?","who says?", does this honor God or man? My pre-supposition is that all things were created through Him and for Him and He is before all things and in Him all things consist...so there is no neutral ground, all thinking must be brought into obedience to Christ. And by the written word has God chosen to reveal himself to us.. so it is in the written word that I will find the "mind of Christ". This is my measuring stick for what I read and hear.

I read Greg Bahnsen's book Always Ready, it's all about pre-suppostions, whatever it is it better be grounded from God's Word. I'm starting to see how God's Word applies to everything now.
The pieces are fitting together for me now, the secular/spiritual wall is being dismembered. Man cannot, no matter how hard he tries, isolate some area and say, "God has nothing to do with this." It's a world view.

No comments: