Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Better...? Or Worse...?

This is a follow up from my February 07 musings Exegesis Has Not Been a Silver Bullet

When you go to the eye doctor and they switch lens settings they say better... or worse...I'm trying to clarify.

I'm doing a stinky job trying to get this point across. Maybe this will help. (I might just be digging a hole.) Don't get me wrong on exegesis, we must show it all from the Word. But if by our pre-suppositions we limit, corner and buttonhole the Word into how we already understand it, or fit it into doctrines we believe in, then we're still stuck here. I don't think we even realize that this is what we do.

It wasn't the exegetical method that got us where we're at with our funky thinking.

But we arrived here in spite of it.

We don't have to start all over on what we see in the Word, but the way we look at it must change. It will take intellectual honesty. Our pre-suppositional sock is inside out.

We have been trained by movies, schooling, children's books, books in general that we can understand and move about through life without seeing God as central to it all, without seeing how it is all connected back to Him. The sock is inside out.

The first commandment is the one that jumps out, we know the first commandment, but we don't understand the implications of it or see the enormity of how it should affect our thinking over any subject.

No one will argue that God should be on the throne for our lives. But it will be through practical examples that will expose what we have been doing. It will be through illustrations of everyday life, showing how to apply God's Word in manners that were not use to, that will flick on the switch to let people see, my sock is inside out.

Greg Koukl does it with Relativism, he shows how bankrupt it is by way of reason. Through simple illustrations and examples. And then shows how to think correctly, ultimately grounded in God's Word.

I think Bahnsen's Always Ready book is all about the first commandment as applied to our thinking.

I admit, it's frustrating to me. I can see lots of times that we are standing on a hill that we shouldn't be on. And we didn't use the exegetical method to get us here. And no one wants to try and biblically defend the hill we're on. But rather than just repenting and walking off the hill to what is plainly a more biblical position it seems like we have to exegetically justify each step that we take down the hill. I'm gonna put down my shovel now. :)
Better?...or worse?....

No comments: