Saturday, July 19, 2008

We Dont Talk Enough About Gods Law In Gods Church

For we wrestle not with flesh and blood but with pieces of laminated flooring that we have cut too short. Sigh.

Note I have never advocated that we embrace Gods law apart from its entire biblical home. I am repeating back what God says about his law. He doesn’t stutter. I was making specific reference that to be a Berean, men who were praised, they were only equipped with the OT.

…”can you then divorce and remain within God's standard…”, I think you already answered this in your letter. J 1)at the beginning , Jesus said the two would become one flesh. 2)That the purpose was to have Godly offspring, this is defined as doing by training the next generation up with a understanding of Gods standard, his Law for all of life, 3)with the view that this was a multi-generational dominion task. Divorce would make it about impossible to do what all three.

I think you next paragraph you make some leaps…

…See, when I look at Jesus--blessed be His name--I have to deal with the fact that He much elevated the Law, thereby making the Old standard subservient to the New. In the Old Covenant you didn't glean, however in the New, you might have to sell your house if a Brother is in need. The Law didn't go away, of course not, it exploded into this New and wonderful thing….

Before Jesus righteous standard for living explodes into something new, you had better have a very clear understanding of what it was first. I don’t think that we do. So we have exploded it into something more after our own image in many, many, ways.

In the Old Testament Jesus gave us His standard, not rules. From the begining it was a heart thing, love God with all you heart and soul and mind, do not covet, do not hate your neighbor in your heart. Jesus said to the pharasee’s right at the start of his ministry, that not one jot or tittle would go away. He then took a chain saw to all of the man made traditions that they were engrossed in.

When he would say “ you have heard …. But I say…” that was (always? Usually? ) in reference to their Talmud, etc interpretations, and rules, and not Gods Law. He called all back to the heart that was always represented by His Law. Not one jot or tittle means, not one jot or tittle . Our access to God did explode into something wonderful and new. But Jesus himself said he came to fulfill the Law. How we moderns then use that sentence to say that he changed his Law, his standard, is just more testimony to how wicked our hearts are.

Again this is what I can see dimly. I am not the Bible answer man. I would be much more comfortable answering questions on those areas where I have been wrestling and rolling around already. I don’t know diddly about Chinese food either. J

I am sticking with Jesus, the Standard is still his Law and word revelation.

No comments: