Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Is Gods Law the Ideal standard?

Any we and you’s should be used in generic sense.

Marc asks… As I was driving the other night, I began to ponder something: Is God's Law the ideal standard?? That is the question!!!.... Now, we can agree that the Ten Commandments are pure, good, and right. But taking the Law in totality, how do we find the perfect???

I will stand as a Berean and answer thus, watch, nothing up my sleeve except Old Testament…

...the law of the Lord is perfect converting the soul… therefore I love your commandments more than gold, yes than fine gold. Therefore all your precepts concerning all things I consider to be right… the entirety of your words is truth, and every one of Your righteous judgements endures forever,

…And David said to Gad. I am in great distress. Please let me fall into the hand of the Lord, for his mercies are very great: But do not let me fall into the hand of man.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path…


Psalms 19:7 Psalm 119: 126,127 Psalm 119:160 & I Chron 21:13 Psalm 119:105

Any alternative will have to be by definition, humanistic. Any other standard would be counterfeit. Any other plum line would be crooked and any other weights would be inaccurate. There is no second choice that is not a wrong choice. All else is wood hay and stubble.

Marcs second point...Also, let us not forget the Sabbath Day! It seems to me, that one is always on the back burner. But, you might respond, that was fulfilled in Jesus the Christ--Blessed be His name--I agree, but the rest was also fulfilled in Jesus-Blessed be His name!! You can't discount, Thou shalt not commit adultery, so how can you--I use the term YOU, generically--so how can you rid yourself of the Sabbath?? Seventh day of the week, Saturday, and no servile work shall be done therein!!!

Last weekend I started laying down a laminate floor. The pieces lock together and the whole floor flows together and looks great when done. I have to use pieces from the same manufacturer, same style and preferably from the same lot or they won’t fit, or partly fit and be a mismatch in its coloring. The ways of God are much the same. If you use Gods presuppositions and his word as the starting point and are consistent, then there is nothing to compare it to. We have not done that.

Unfortunately From within the stream of Christianity that I have been raised in, Gods Law was lost. I do feel like my son Nathan. He is 20 months old and two days ago started climbing onto sofas and chairs. I turned around and he was standing up on the chair and just nonchalantly walked off the edge of the chair. Oops.

Two years ago Jason refered to me as “Oh, your the Theonomy guy”, at the Uniting Church and Home conference in St louis, when I first met him. I didn’t know what he meant. I went out into the Lobby and bought Einwetchers book , An introduction to Theonomy.

Now I still feel like I am walking off chairs all over the place. The world is happy to say,” since you don’t have it all figured out we must reject it all.” The Church and the world both don’t mind the water being muddy on the issue Of Gods Law. We can be free agents then. I don’t understand it all. But I am implementing what I can understand. That article from Wilson about ” A and not A” is perfect. I am at the letter L and trying to get back to the letter J, I must show myself a faithful steward at j and not demand of God, no I want to know about this A, B, C,and D first. Be faithful with what God has given you and then he gives you more. Line upon line, precept upon precept.

I admit that I do not understand the trinity in its totality. But I have been around that concept for a long time and just accept it and don’t worry about it.

On the whole I am more focused right now on understanding the evangelical phobias and bias’s against using all of Gods words. I know that in the years to come God will continue to send his people this direction. The better we understand “the what and the why “ of modern evangelicalism, and its relationship with Americana, it will help us see our own weak spots. And we will be better prepared to help shorten the learning curve for those coming behind us.

Rushdoony, Bahnsen , Doug Wilson, Swanson and many others from Vision Forum handle these types of questions in beautiful fashion and I defer to them.

No comments: