Saturday, July 19, 2008

Gods Law Is not The Same as Rules

I hope this adds clarity or gives us something better to grab onto in our minds. I don’t want to pick apart what Greg wrote, but use it, to stand on, and reach a little higher I hope.

Greg, thank you for sharing. I think you laid out the perfect, defacto, default understanding of what Gods Law is to the modern Evangelical. You nailed me perfectly as I read it and I bet most of those who read it had it resonate with them too. What you wrote was the sum total I ever had to consider about Gods Law, it is all that was ever “taught” concerning it, in the circles I ran in.

The biggest comeponant would be that the whole discussion was around our relationship or standing before God.

I’m gonna add two mites worth where things jumped out at me. Gregs writing is in blue still…..The scriptures are so clear throughout that the law was put in place to remind us that we could never achieve it. That no matter how much we tried, the law would be out of our reach…. True, when we are talking of Gods Law making us right before him. But it’s the other side of the coin that I keep trying to see clearly.

…So I guess my “two cents” (better than a farthing maybe?) on the issue is whether we believe completely in the old testament laws or if we try and establish which of those still apply today, the greater question I believe on the issue is what is the greatest commandment and how do we stack up?

Let me say Amen Amen! We know which is the greatest commandment, I hope. But In the past, I then lived like that meant that I don’t need to even worry about the rest of his Laws….Which doesn’t logically follow but that’s what my mind did with it.

…the issue is whether we believe completely in the old testament laws or if we try and establish which of those still apply today…

I objected to calling Gods Law “rules” the other day. We played a new game last night. Rules are like for a game, “high roller goes first and then the turn goes to the person on his left…” But nothing is any different if you change the rules so that it is the “low die roller who goes first and then the turn goes to the person on his right”. There is no moral comeponant violated and the game can play the same no matter which ever rule you want to use.

When in Psalms it talks of…. Therefore all your precepts concerning all things I consider to be right… the entirety of your words is truth, … I do think it is refering to Gods Law as it pertains to ….“which of those still apply today,” These Laws not only wont change, but cannot change, as they reflect Gods perfect order.

We have to understand that parts of Gods Law is like talking about the Law of gravity. Here we are no longer talking about our relationship to him, per say, but rather our relationship to how he has ordered the universe . You cannot change that. Jesus didn’t change it either. Jesus death and burial and resurrection changed our relationship to the father. Our nation and most of the world is gonna have some serious heartburn for using a monetary policy (system) that ignored, disregarded and disobeyed Gods Laws concerning money. You wont find monetary policy in your concordance. But God has a lot to say about money.

Gods Law laid out a distinction for authority in the Family, Governemt and the Church. I let Wilson cover that here in july 07

It is in this regard that so much of the modern church looks like free range chickens.

I will stop now , but there is gold in them there hills!

No comments: