Friday, February 20, 2009

John basically continues to repeat what Jesus said to do...

I was excited at I john where he emphasizes 3 times about loving God and keeping his commandments. He doesn’t give any disclaimers. “Don’t worry, I am not being legalistic” In other words he doesn’t see what he his saying as having anything to with legalism or leading to it. (Why do we???)

To put even more butter on the cracker, when you read 2nd john, that old legalist is at it again! John the beloved...The one closest to Jesus...He comes right back to the commandments and attaches it to loving God again! Doesn’t he know how dangerous and legalistic this might be taken?

I don’t think he worried about it at all. I do think our modernity has poisoned what should be a rich well for us.

So John basically continues to repeat what Jesus said to do... if you love me, keep my commandments.

This admonition comes as he is warning them of deceivers coming into their midst.....

2Jn 1:4 I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father.
2Jn 1:5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.
2Jn 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

No comments: