Thursday, February 21, 2008

Why It's so Hard to Elect Someone That's Against The System

From Lew Rockwells site.

Why Senator Snort Is Not a Libertarian
by Gary North

...A quarter of a century ago, I sat down with Paul Weyrich. I asked him about what it takes to get conservatives – not libertarians – to run for office. He was forthright. "They will not run for a local office. I can get lots of people to run for the Senate, if I agree to raise the money. But they refuse to put in years in the trenches. They are not interested in lower offices."

I wrote my piece, "The Dogcatcher Strategy," in response to his statement. It sat in my files unused for almost twenty years. A much-shortened version of it was published on LewRockwell.com in 2000.

The Senate is a vetted organization. The party's hierarchy screens the candidates. Then the media screen the two rivals. If one of them deviates from the acceptable limits of discourse, the media come down on the side of the candidate who accepts today's Federal government. No one gets through the party's vetting who is hostile to the state...whole thing here

No comments: