Sunday, February 17, 2008

We Have Work To Do

2 Timothy 2:15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I submit, that right here, Paul's reference to "rightly dividing the word of truth," that he was specifically speaking of the Old Testament. The New Testament cannon was still 300 yrs from being recognized.

Of the New Testament writers God had Paul do the Lions share. Question..Of the New Testament writers who probably had the deepest most thorough understanding of the Old Testament?.....Coincidence?

Thankfully while much of the church has been picnicking quietly, waiting for the Lord's return, there have been some Christians who have been obediently applying God's word to all of Life.

If you have not taken the time to have gone through the string of Douglas Wilson columns I sent around then you are the poorer for it. I just love seeing God's principles held up to different areas of life! Yes!!!!!

This is not easy. This is work. Partly because we must disengage, foolish ways of seeing life that we were inculcated with. And partly because we are so not used to handling the Old Testament and New Testament Like a brace of revolvers.

Like the guy I sold a gun too. He had someone try to break into his house in the middle of the night. Having been woken by his wife with the panic stricken voice “that someone is trying to force open the sliding glass door” to their bedroom. He grabbed the gun and box of ammo and promptly scattered bullets all over the floor. So in the dark on his hands and knees he’s feeling around for the bullets and screaming out “you better go away or I will shoot you”. They left.

I do feel like that myself, I am frantically on the floor trying to gather together a coherent world view that now includes the Old Testament and as I’m picking up bullets I am noticing that these are “elephant” rounds…Lordy! These will do some damage Praise God!

There is a temptation for me to weary as I am making up for my disobedience. (yes that’s what I call it) just having to admit that I have misunderstood how wide , vast, and all encompassing the claims of Christ are to all of life is humbling to me and my flesh doesn’t like it. Rather than have to press myself, and wait before the lord and meditate on these things I have been constantly whispered at by the enemy “maybe we should not be sidetracked by this minor stuff and we should stay focused on the real work of the Lord”.

Its nothing like first claiming the moral high ground before I take a position as a slothful servant.

The world has enough Alfred E Neuman Christians , just enjoying fellowship while you wait for the bus,(what me worry?).

We must stay on our hands and knees, in prayer, in meditation, looking for the rest of our bullets. You will have to ignore the pagans running around claiming that, “this is neutral" and "its not relevant” and try to help the other believers who think that the claims of Christ are a little too loud…“Put on your earmuffs."

You should see the holes these things make.

As was spoken to the Ephesians in 3:17 so also we are commanded to... no longer walk as the rest of the gentiles walk in the futility of of their minds. He would not have warned them to no longer do it...if it wasnt possible for them to do it. Hey I did it for a long, long time and catch myself still doing it.

Col:1:16,17...all things were created through him and for him. and he is before all things,and in him all things consist ....that in all things he may have preeminence...

No comments: