Thursday, November 5, 2009

“Precious Moments” bible

These things you have done, and I kept silent; You thought that I was altogether like you; But I will rebuke you, And set them in order before your eyes. Psalms 50:21
The Lord knows the thoughts of man, That they are futile. Psalms 94:11

My wife has been doing the facebook thing. She is making contact with old church friends from 20 yrs ago. So she now gets the stream of comments everyday on what people are saying. Horrors!

Its like a spoof on the old Saturday Night Live skit, that they would call “Deep thoughts” My impression has been that everyone is now using a Thomas Nelson “Precious Moments” bible and rather than even quoting poorly translated scripture is instead preferring to quote the captions below the illustrations that are interspersed throughout the book. “take time to let God love you today”

Beth is trying to carefully ask questions back to some, you know, stuff like…”what do you mean by that?” But there are issues where she can see a desperate need to try and speak the truth that is missing. It is crossing my mind on how frustrating it will be at times to try to communicate what we are seeing from Gods word now, to many old friends. Much of my core vocabulary will be meaningless!?!

The standard truly is…”well, I believe…” We are thinking back at so many of the Christian fables we sucked up. Beth remembers this one… “Well you know, the women of Corinth were just so pushy and that’s why Paul wrote that. It only applied to them.” My wife now would respond….” And we women today are not, like that?”

Never ever once did it cross our minds to stop and ask anyone, let alone the pastors, “can you show me where the word says that?” or “Where does this come from scripture?”

It really would be easier to talk with someone from the 1600’s than it is to many modern believers. At least I wouldn’t have to argue that the Word is the standard except with some papist or maybe an Anabaptist. (Wilson once made a comment about the Anabaptists that makes me think they would fit right in today…..”Sheriff the Anabaptists are running naked through the grocery store again…”)

"But My people would not heed My voice, And Israel would have none of Me. 12 So I gave them over to their own stubborn heart, To walk in their own counsels. Psalms 81:11-12

Gods grace. He will do it. He cracked open our stony hearts and he will do it for others. All nations whom You have made Shall come and worship before You, O Lord, And shall glorify Your name. Psalms 86:9 It is going to happen someday. I will believe what his word says and keep repeating it. It is easier to stop the tide, then to stop what God has said He will do.

No comments: