Sunday, September 27, 2009

So entrenched in their pietistic mindset

I think these observations are dead on...


Righteousness and Justice Go Together


....Some of the criticism was not very informed, like the comments that I should go there and do it myself: I’ve been there, done that, and I keep doing it. Some of it raised an important objection: We should first preach to save souls, and then hopefully in the future the saved souls will change the culture.

While this objection sounds reasonable, it is unrealistic. In my many years of missionary work I have never seen a convert moving naturally from a personal, pietistic mindset to do culture-changing work. Where new Christians have been evangelized with the truncated gospel of “saving souls” they have never by themselves moved up to challenge the evil practices of their society and its institutions. I takes a new effort of presenting to them the comprehensive message of the Bible in order for them to start practicing it. And by that time they are already so entrenched in their pietistic mindset that it takes almost a new conversion experience to grasp the Biblical worldview....

No comments: