Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Let the dead bury their dead

Enjoying two more books.....

From Douglas Wilson one is called Black and Tan, and you know a book will be good when you mark up the introduction hot and heavy. He notes in the intro..." that the boundaries of the acceptable are always vigoriously policed......and when you differ..." from the reigning orthodoxy, whatever that orthodoxy may happen to be (and there always is one)...." wilosn is talking about history, but this truth easily transfers to our churchs, politics, anything.

As was recently noted, when something has been accepted for a long time......it becomes the orthodox, and anyone differing with it, even using scripture, becomes the heretic. Voddies line about..."I dont write it, I just deliver the mail", comes to mind.

I asked Voddie early that Sunday am on what he was seeing when it came to these messages that he had delivered at the convention, whether people could bring back truth and it be received in their Church’s? Voddie, with just a deadpanned look on his face shook his head, no.

Old wineskin. Sometimes you have to let the dead bury their dead, and you come follow me.

I meant to mention this book after my camping trip. Doug Wilson's book Easy Chairs, Hard Words has been great for me. I have lead a sheltered Christian life. Thomas Kinkade Christianity, find a snugly little cabin to wait in until the lord returns.

This has been the best little book to help some truths slide deeper into place. The subtitle is “discussions on the liberty of God”

I am three chapters into it and I think I will use it to read to the whole family. It has been the best at laying out in such an easy to see fashion, the truths John Calvin brought to the faith. Wilson being a former full blown evangelical like me knows how to discuss these absolutely foreign, but biblical truths, in a manner that goes down as easy as these truths can.

You can also find the book for about $4 at half .com

No comments: