Saturday, March 28, 2009

Who is this king of glory?

This is a most amazing book. Rushdoony's "The Institutes of Biblical Law" I couldve used a roller highlighter. It is hard to read because I feel compelled to keep stopping and mark another sentence with the highlighter for future reference. This has happened with some articles by Otto Scott in the past but never with chunks of a book.

Another reason it is taking alot of time to advance through the book is, not because it is too cerebral or deep, but rather his comments make scripture snap out in 3D to where you see how things fit inside, a much larger context, then my usual Americana compartmentalized view allows.

I am at around page 123 and he is still working with a biblcal understanding of the 3rd commandment,using Gods name in vain. How it is the basis of oaths, promises,truth,the foundation of a society. Blasphemy.

I think this is a key. Rushdoony steps outside what my mind thinks the bible says, and instead keeps coming back to the Word and letting it, the word, define even the manner in which you examine the Word. Taking your presuppositions captive to the word of God.

I am not used to this. Things that seemed ecclectic in the Word are starting to flow with, and fit alongside the rest of the Word. Now what is ecclectic, is way too many of my former understandings that I used to have about scripture, or Christianity.

The Psalmist asks...who is this king of glory?

God say's... you thought I was all together like you:....psalm 50:21

This morning I read acts 5 Annanias and Sapphira and at v9 where Annanias is already dead and
Sapphira come in and Peter after letting her lie about the money says... "look the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door and they will carry you out" V10 then immediately she fell down dead....

For the first time, I realized that Peter fortelling her death, announcing it, just doesnt seem like a Christiany, Jesusy, New Testament attitude as I have understood it.

Who is this king of glory?

No comments: