Monday, October 15, 2007

Evangelical,I have Stopped Going to Church

Here is something to think about in light of the teaching, instruction, wisdom given from those a little further down the road from us. We will need to seek out Gods wisdom, so we can act prudently, biblically, to the miriad of weird and not so weird things that happen when sinful humans gather together in the name of Christ. May we never just give up and let things go on. May God grant us humility to always be willing to seek out help and Godly advice. This is from the American Spectator via Pearcy Report something to think about

Church and Me
By Lawrence Henry
Published 10/12/2007 12:07:25 AM

When I was a boy, I spent summers visiting my grandparents in South Dakota. We attended a little white Church of Christ right in the middle of our little town. I could name every member of the congregation for you to this day, simply by picturing where everybody sat, but for reasons you'll see, I'm not going to do that. In fact, from now on out, I'll change names to protect the feelings of people still alive.....

But, at various stages, I have stopped going to church, because some human fallibility, some shortcoming in the congregation itself, has brought me up short. As a church, we belong to Jesus Christ, not to any particular person, whether he be preacher, teacher, elder, or friend.

But those preachers, teachers, elders, and friends do mean something, and when something goes awry -- when the church as a church just plain doesn't work, and when I start to feel the way I felt as a child, that some of the grownups are faking it, or taking refuge in rigidity -- then I start to feel that old uneasiness again, and find it a lot more comfortable to retreat to my Bible and my prayers and solitude.

Of late, that kind of thing has happened again, and I have stopped going to church. We'll see how long it takes for me to get that old-time feeling again.
entire article

No comments: